Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 1, Episode 57: Enter... The Lizzinator



Let me think back to how Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was a part of my childhood.  First, my imaginary friend as a young child was one of the first two Red Rangers.  I can’t remember if it which one.  That seems kind of lame because my imaginary friend wasn’t even from my own imagination.  It was a character I saw on television and adapted into that position.  Second, I had a stuffed toy of the original Blue Ranger.  I’m not entirely sure why.  I don’t know what happened to it.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers has been a part of my life ever since I was a child.  I was three years old when it began, so I grew up with the show.  I didn’t watch it too long into its run (I stopped somewhere around Turbo), but what I watched influenced me as much as anything.  I wanted to be one of the “teenagers with attitude” who were actually nice people and not attitude filled teens.

I’m currently working my way through the series, writing about each episode as I watch it.  I’ve gone through most of the first season so far.  This is the fourth to last episode.  It has taken a long time to get to this point.  It was worth it.  I got to relive something nostalgic and I’ve been having a good time.  Plus, I’ve been able to write about it.  That is two things that I enjoy, merging into greatness.  How about some more greatness with the episode play-by-play?

Season 1, Episode 57: Enter… The Lizzinator
The episode began with cheerleading practice in the Angel Grove Youth Centre.  Kimberly’s cousin Kelly wanted to be a cheerleader, but she wasn’t good enough.  She moped around for a while even when Kimberly tried to cheer her up.

Rita’s plan this time around involved kidnapping Kimberly’s cousin.  Meanwhile, the gang met up at the Youth Centre.  Jason left everyone to pick up some stuff for Ernie, the proprietor.  They arrived to see Kelly give up cheerleading because she wasn’t as good as Kimberly.

Tommy and Kimberly found Kelly at the park and gave her another pep talk.  Kimberly wasn’t always a great cheerleader.  She had to practice to be good.  The pep talk got cut short by a putty attack.  It led to another fight on a jungle gym.  Those are always the best.  During the fight, Squat and Baboo kidnapped Kelly.

While Jason was picking up the items for Ernie, he met the Lizzinator.  His first instinct was to morph into the Red Ranger.  Jason gets beaten pretty easily.  He was hit by a thrown car, then got tossed through a wall of steel drums before the Lizzinator disappeared.

Back at the Command Centre, Jason told everyone about the Lizzinator and Kimberly told him about Kelly.  They also discovered that the Lizzinator’s armour was made of indestructible materials from another place.  They needed to try stopping the monster anyway, so they headed out to fight.

The Lizzinator brought a bunch of putties to the fight.  During the battle, one of the putties got into a car and drove at Jason.  For some reason, Jason was a magnet for cars in this episode.  It’s weird.  Jason jumped on top of the car and hed on while it drove erratically through an old quarry.  The Lizzinator shot exploding laser beams at the car because why not.

When the Lizzinator was about to crush Jason with a giant rock, Tommy jumped in to help.  Jason warned him about his fading powers, but Tommy said he must risk the loss of his powers in order to save Angel Grove.

Rita threw her staff to grow the Lizzinator, so it became Zord time.  The Dragonzord was the first out.  After a short fight, the Lizzinator picked up the Dragonzord and threw it aside.  The rest of the Power Rangers got in their Zords.  The Megazord and the Dragonzord worked together to fight the Lizzinator.

Meanwhile, Kelly was cheerleading with Squat and Baboo.  They felt sick after cheerleading.

The Power Rangers called in Titanus so that they could make Ultrazord, and they kicked monster butt.  Now they needed to find Kelly.  She escaped by scaring Squat and Baboo away with the cheerleading.

Bulk and Skull showed up at the end to make fun of Kelly.  Bulk tried to do a cheer but split his pants.  They ran away, and Kelly did her try-out for the cheer squad.  It seemed like Zack taught her offscreen.  She automatically made the team, everyone was happy, and the episode ended.



That was an episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, I guess.  The comic relief was some of the worst I’ve seen in the show, but that got evened out enough by the fact that the fights were some of the best I’ve seen in many episodes.  The monster actually felt like a threat, which was nice.  It wasn’t about tearing the team apart from the inside.  It was about being stronger than the Power Rangers.  That worked really well.

The way that Mighty Morphin Power Rangers keeps bringing up the fact that Tommy doesn’t have much left in his powers makes me think that in the final three episodes, something is going to happen.  It would be a mistake to not follow that up before the season’s end.

There are three more episodes of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers to go in the first season.  Yet, this is only the beginning.  This is a show that has been around for over twenty years.  I am hoping to watch many more seasons of Power Rangers after the first.  It’ll be a long, hard road, but I’m excited to make it to the next step.  I’ll be back soon with another episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon