Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 1, Episode 55: Second Chance



Mighty Morphin Power Rangers keeps chugging along as I near the end of the first season.  It may have taken me years to complete the first step on my trip through the franchise, but I’m almost there.  I’m near the end of the first chapter of the Power Rangers legacy.  And what do I have to show for it?  I have 55 posts about 55 episodes of a series that I watched as a child and bought to relive.  That’s something.

The episode coming up promises a second chance at something.  I don’t know what that thing is.  Could it be something that I already know about, or will it be something that the characters mention for the first time in this episode?  I don’t know the answer to that since I am going to watch it after writing all of this stuff.  All I know is that I’m probably going to see the Power Rangers fight some putties and defeat another of Rita Repulsa’s monsters.  That’s all I could really expect of an episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.  And I do have fun with it every time.

So let’s get into this episode and see what it’s all about.  I know you’re as excited as me to see.

Season 1, Episode 55: Second Chance

The title of the episode comes up pretty darn early in the dialogue.  As Jason and Zack are hanging out at the Youth Centre, they see Ernie posting a list of children who made it through the try-outs for the soccer team.  When one child is left sad, Jason and Zack convince Ernie to give the kids a second chance.  I’m not sure how that would work, but I’ll go with it.

Rita, meanwhile, wants to send some sort of monster ball to destroy the Power Rangers.  It needs to charge first, so we’ve still got a ways to go before that happens.

Bulk and Skull think that they should be the ones to train the kid, whose name is Roger, to be on the soccer team.  They decide to show everyone in the school hallway why they should be the trainers by kicking a ball.  As he dodges out of the way, Tommy breaks his communicator.  That has to come up later in the episode.  In fact, in the next scene, it keeps making noise in class and a teacher takes it away.

The Soccadillo isn’t charged yet so Goldar says they should send down putties to fight Jason and Zack, who are in the park.  This brings up the question about why Rita doesn’t reveal the Power Rangers’ identities, since she knows them.  I’ll discuss that later.  As soon as the putties arrive, Rita wants to send the monster down even though it isn’t fully charged.  This leads to one of the strangest fights I’ve seen so far.  There’s a floating rock armadillo ball being kicked and punched.

Did you know that not only do the Power Rangers wear clothes in their colours, but they also drink out of cups that are their specific colours?  The more you know.

Kimberly, Trini, and Billy show up at the park to help and the weird fight continues.  They need Tommy’s help but Tommy can’t be reached since he doesn’t have his communicator.  The Power Rangers fight without Tommy.  When he gets his communicator back, he shows up and the Power Rangers kick butt.

In the final scene, Roger makes the team because Ernie makes two teams instead of one.  And he’s the captain!  Bulk and Skull say he didn’t need to train and to prove it, Skull is going to show them his skills.  But his hand gets stuck to the ball with some sort of slime and when he tries to throw the ball away, it comes back and hits him in the face.  Everyone laughs.  The credits start.



This episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was another episode with weird visuals.  Much like the heads stuck in the pumpkins from the previous episode, the floating Soccadillo ball that was in the fights is something that won’t leave my mind for a while.  The way that the Power Rangers ducked and weaved to avoid it while fighting putties made for one of the more entertaining fights of the season.

Other than that fight, there wasn’t much else to the episode to make it stand out in any way.  Nothing that happened was meaningful at all.  We’ll probably never see Roger again.  The Soccadillo won’t be back.  The relationships between the characters weren’t furthered in any way.  Everything is as it was before the episode.

My question to you is this: Why is everything the same?  My second question: Why doesn’t Rita reveal the identities of the Power Rangers?  If she knows who they are, she could reveal who they are and cause problems in their high school lives.  With so much attention on the Power Rangers, you would think that it would be easier for Rita to attack Angel Grove.  But nope, she just keeps it secret.  I feel like that’s only hurting her in the long run.

The next episode will probably be more of the same.  But, hey!  I’m nearer the end of the season than I was before this episode.  And I’ll be even closer after the next episode.  That’s how it works.  I’ll be back sometime soon to write about the next episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.  Until then, go Green Ranger go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon