Overlooked Movie Marathon 2: The Initial Thoughts




With summer coming to a close, I’ve been thinking a lot about the marathons that I did on my blog in previous years.  The two things don’t have too much in common.  The end of summer doesn’t just automatically make me think about marathoning movies.  It’s not a seasonal thing for me.  The reason I’ve been thinking about it is because it was September through December of 2012 that I had my last stretch of marathons.

Thinking about it brought me much deliberation over what to do.  Do I want to do some more marathons?  Of course I do.  They are fun for me because they allow me to see movies that otherwise would not have been as high on my watchlist.  In the last marathon, I saw a movie called Scenes from a Mall, which I didn’t even know existed until I was putting together the marathon.  It sheds light on my dark spots in the history of cinema.

I’m going to get right to it.  I am definitely bringing back the marathons.  I have a lot of movies that I want to watch, which I think could fit well into various themes or categories.  It will also bring more to my blog than just the Sunday “Bad” Movies, Work Stories, and my writing about Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.  I like having more variety in my blog.  Yes, it’s another bunch of movie writing, but it’s different enough to me to constitute being here.

I know I’m not doing a great job selling the marathons, and I’m not really trying to.  They are more for my own amusement than yours, but I will be writing about the movies.  And I’m taking it back to its roots and only doing reviews, or my attempts at reviews.  Mixing it up last year was fun and all, but I have the Sunday “Bad” Movies for that stuff.  I don’t need to do it in the marathons.  There may be some exceptions to this, but for the most part, I will be sticking to reviews or something like a review for the movies.

The first marathon up is the one that I will be doing in September.  This is a repeat of sorts of the marathon I did last September.  If you go back and look at last September, you’ll see a bunch of blog posts for the Overlooked Movie Marathon, or some title like that.  Basically, I took one movie that I hadn’t seen from each decade of movie history, and I watched it.  This year is a little bit different.  I went on Twitter and asked people for what they thought were the best movies ever, and compiled a list.  I had meant to choose only eight or so movies (to save myself a little bit of time), but the suggestions were so good that I went up to twelve.  There are twelve movies that are going to be included in my September marathon of Overlooked movies.  Here’s the list:

  1. The General
  2. Metropolis
  3. Singin' In the Rain
  4. Fantasia
  5. Tokyo Story
  6. Young Frankenstein
  7. Harold and Maude
  8. Taxi Driver
  9. Robocop
  10. City of God
  11. LA Confidential
  12. Amelie

These are twelve movies that I have never seen in their entirety.  In September, they will all be watched and written about.  This is a challenge to myself, but one that I am sure I can accomplish.  What marathons will come after?  This is up to both me and you to decide.  Any suggestions for themes will be welcomed with open arms.  So far, I already have ideas for October and November.  Anything after that is open.

One last note that I would like to make is that I might not do a marathon every month.  I hope to always have marathons going from now on, but some might be shorter, and some might be split over separate months.  It will be fun to see how long I can keep this going before I need to take a break.  Hopefully it won’t fizzle out the way it did last time.

In terms of the marathons, I’ll see you in September when the Second Annual Overlooked Movie Marathon begins.  In terms of the blog, I’ll see you tomorrow with a Work Story.  Good night, and good luck.

Comments

  1. Glad to have stumbled upon your blog! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link. Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon