Movie Excitement 2012


I don’t know what it is.  This year, I’m not excited for the movies coming out.  At least, from what I know is coming out.  I want to be excited for a lot of them but I’m not.  Maybe as their release dates get closer, my excitement will rise.  Right now I don’t have the excitement.  I could give reasons why, but why would you want to read that?  Ha!  I’ll do it anyway.  I’m going to pick a few movies and try and come to terms with why I should be excited but am not.

Let’s start with the easy one.  The Dark Knight Rises.  Everyone in the world seems to be head over heels excited for it.  By the world, I mean the internet, mind you.  They’re all going bonkers about how great it is, how Nolan is a genius, how much they like Tom Hardy and all that jazz.  There were set picture leaks, slow reveals, speculation galore, and everything you can think of.  I got sick of it.  There was too much overexposure to the Batman.  Sure, I still want to see the movie, but I’m not excited for it.  I’m sick of hearing about it.  I’m tired of all the “We’ve got this picture” or “Someone in the cast said” stuff.  It’s killing any of the buzz that I had.  I’m no longer excited for it.

Next up is The Hobbit.  There’s just something about it.  Maybe it’s that everyone keeps considering it the next part of the Lord of the Rings world.  Yeah, it is.  But it’s missing so many of the characters that I liked in the original.  It’s also many years removed from the last one.  Nine, right?  I think so.  There’s also the whole part about how long it took to come into fruition which was all over the movie news and may have killed some of my excitement.  I’ll still watch it, likely with my family over the Christmas holidays, but I’m not as excited as I thought I would be, considering the number of times I saw the Lord of the Rings films.  There sure were a lot of commas in that sentence.

Who is excited for Skyfall?  Not me.  I’m just not.  There really is no reason for this.  Maybe it’s the name.  I don’t know.  I am excited to hear the movie’s song when it comes around.  I’m much more excited for that than for the movie itself.  That speaks tons, right?

I was really, really excited when The Expendables was coming out.  The teaming of so many action favourites into one movie seemed like something that I needed to see.  The sequel doesn’t seem so exciting.  Maybe it’s the fact that I feel like I’ve seen it now.  I know that Bruce Willis has a bigger role, Schwarzenegger returns, and they’ve added JCVD and Chuck Norris, but that just isn’t doing anything for me.  Nothing at all.  I already saw the movie where a bunch of action guys teamed up.  And I remembered it at Christmas.

Finally, I’m rounding it out with another highly anticipated superhero movie.  The Avengers.  I think it’s going to be too cluttered.  That is all.  I’m not excited because there are too many superheroes for its own good.

So there’s that.  Reasons that I’m not excited for what I think I would usually be excited for.  Perhaps something in my head has clicked and I just don’t enjoy the anticipation as much as I did a few years ago.  Whatever the case, I’ll see what I truly get excited for as the stuff gets nearer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon