Things I Learned From Movies 3


I may not get too many entries out for the blog this week due to school scheduling and such but I couldn’t pass up the chance to add to what I have made one of my weekly blog entries.  This is yet another thing I have learned in a film.

Now, this topic is probably going to come up a lot in this series of blog posts.  It’s quite similar to the one I put up last week.  I hope that this one is a little bit different as the film it comes from isn’t quite in the same ballpark as 127 Hours.  The film I have learned from is Run Fatboy Run starring Simon Pegg.  What I learned, as I’m going to paraphrase by quoting the great Jim Morrison of The Doors is that you need to break on through to the other side.

In the case of Simon Pegg’s character in Run Fatboy Run, he is training for a marathon.  As he runs he is going to get tired.  That is just something that happens.  As a person expends their energy into kinetic work, they get tired.  He is eventually going to hit a metaphorical wall.  This wall is that point where your body wants to give up and stop running.  He pushes through this tough moment and breaks through the wall.

Last week I talked about being in bad situations.  I’m going to take this in a slightly different way.  Instead of bad situations, I’ll discuss working your way through tough situations.  These are situations where something seems impossible but you work your way through the situation in order to come out on the other side feeling pride in what you have accomplished.

An example from my experience would be with homework.  There was a week about a month ago where I got very bogged down in homework.  I had two assignments due on a Monday, one due on a Tuesday, a lab report due on a Wednesday, and three assignments and a lab report due on Friday.  There were also four quizzes and a few online questions.  This was a week that looked like doom had just come down.  It was that week that would prove whether or not I was worthy of the education that I am receiving.  I told myself I could do it, and slowly but surely powered my way through the week of work.  When I looked back on it at the end of the week, I was proud of all of the work I accomplished that week, and have only grown more proud with the knowledge that the hard work and perseverance gave me for the midterms that were soon to come.

Now I feel like I need to give an example that isn’t quite so self absorbed.  Let’s go with my knowledge of the medical field, which isn’t quite a lot.  But I assume that the first time you have to help someone in a hospital it is tough.  Their well-being is in your hands.  If you don’t do a good job, they could be in worse condition or could even die.  All that really matters is what I would call the first incision, which may in fact be an incision but could easily be replaced with something else.  Once you begin to help the person and get past the initial nerves, you become more confident and can more easily accomplish what you need to.  You begin to save lives.  You now feel good about what you are doing.  You have broken through the wall.

You can work your way through the stressful situations.  Nothing can stop you, aside from severe injury or death I guess, from breaking through the wall when you put yourself to the task.  No matter what, you can always break it down.  Just work hard.  As said in the film Galaxy Quest, never give up, never surrender.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is "Real Steel" Like "Over the Top"?

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 2, Episode 8: The Power Stealer

A Short Description of how Baby's Day Out (1994) is a Live Action Cartoon